A recent study found that 39 percent of Americans stated marriage was becoming obsolete. Is Marriage Becoming Obsolete? Let’s ask a couple of questions: What is Biblical Marriage? Is marriage failing, or are people simply ignoring the timeless truths that are necessary to make a marriage work?
Below are some verses which describe what marriage should be, as opposed to what the world thinks marriage should be.
1. The man gives happiness to his wife: Deut. 24:5 - This is accomplished in a number of ways. A husband must know what his wife needs both physically and spiritually and help her to be fulfilled in those areas.
2. The man lives joyfully with his wife all his days: Ecclesiastes 9:9 - This can be difficult due to the differences in preferences, desires, and thoughts. Yet, a husband and wife must strive to make their spouse feel joyful in the marriage bond..
3. The man is intoxicated with his wife: Proverbs 5:19 - The husband must rejoice in his wife and the physical closeness which can only be enjoyed between them as husband and wife. He must ward off all temptations which compete for her affection.
4. The man rejoices always in this relationship: Proverbs 5:18 - We are heirs together of the grace of life (1 Pet. 3:7) and must live as a team trying not only to get to heaven ourself, but also to help our spouse get to heaven.
5. The man is willing to sacrifice himself for her: Ephesians 5:25 - The husband has a supreme dedication to the protection of his bride and puts her needs, safety, and security above his own.
6. The man nourishes and cherishes his wife: Ephesians 5:29 - The husband is required to love his wife, and she should be confident of that love. Many marriages today are nothing more than two roommates living together. A cherish and nourished wife will help will support her husband and help to build a secure marriage which can endure the tempations and trials of this world.
7. The man dwells with her according to knowledge: 1 Pet 3:7 - Peter’s point is the husband is to become an expert on bringing out the best in his wife. He should know her so well that he can anticipate all of her needs and desires so that he can fulfill them and encourage her in those areas where she needs affirmation.
8. The man treats his wife with honor: 1 Peter 3:7 - The wife is placed above everyone else, including the children. The husband is not to use words (especially to others) which degrade or hinder the honor his wife is due.
9. The woman supports her husband: Genesis 2:18 – The husbands “help-meet” is to support him in his roles as the husband and to encourage him to be the spiritual leader.
10. She does her husband good all the days of his life: Proverbs 31:12 - Just as a husband does the best to provide for her needs and desires, she does the same for her husband.
11. She respects him: Ephesians 5:33 - The husband should be respected and honored as the spiritual leader and provider of the home.
12. The man and the wife are to become so close they are described as being one flesh: Ephesians 5:31 - This closeness is both physical and emotional and is fulfilled in different manners for the husband and wife. It is the responsibility of each to find out what their spouse needs, and then to provide in alignment with the above verses.
When I look at the above description of marriage, how could such a beautiful institution become obsolete if one obeyed the scriptures. If two people are sacrificing for each other, dwelling in mutual love, supporting, communicating, honoring, nurturing, and nourishing each other forever, then nothing could destroy that relationship!